Normally, this is where you’d see my rant about whatever is going on in Chicago this week, (CTU strike anyone?) but it’s been a long week and I’m behind on my news so I’m not touching that one with a 10-foot pole. There’s too much going on with the strike for me to even begin to catch up at this point. I’m a bit surprised it’s gone into a third day, honestly.
The teachers are getting bad press for being greedy, the Rahm Emanuel is getting called out for slowly privatizing the decaying public school system and overburdening the teachers, and just about anyone and everyone with a computer has posted a rant about it.
So I’m just going to direct your attention to a few of the thousands and thousands of other articles and opinions about the CTU strike.
I got the idea from Shellie Lewis’ Blog based on a few links posted up on there:
- Teacher X: Why I’m Striking– a great link from the teacher’s perspective, listing the reasons for striking
- Uptown Strike School– teachers and volunteers run a free program for kids in Kindergarten through 8th grade in the Uptown neighborhood.
- Sun-Times: Rahm Emanuel Picked This Fight With Teachers– for informational purposes on the basic history of CPS, the strike, and Rahm Emanuel
I’d like to add a few of my own to that list: (The 1st one is a must-read, 2nd one is solid too)
- Why Teachers Hate Rahm– A heated Chicago Reader article by one of my favorite and more controversial columnists, Ben Joravsky.
- Not So Subtle: A quick ‘STFU’ rant from Tim Weaver about the bad press CTU is getting.
- Outspoken: Let’s talk numbers. A look at the $76,000 CPS teacher salary.
- Shaz Rasul’s Blog– photo blog of the CTU strike 2012
- CPS Obsessed: A CPS ‘mom blog’ with some decent info on the “Strike Watch” from a parent’s perspective.